Do you remember the joy of spending childhood summers outdoors? Register for Heard Summer Nature Camps and share those wonderful moments and memories with your child. The Heard’s mission is to inspire children to discover, enjoy, experience, and restore our priceless environment. Heard Summer Camps will feature opportunities for children from north Texas and beyond to delve into the wonders of nature on our 289-acre sanctuary, encounter animal ambassadors, investigate nature-themed topics, and more. Studies have shown that spending time outdoors is not only fun for our children, but also plays an important role in many facets of child development.
2018 Camp Information
- Registration is now open to the public.
- A completed application must include:
- a completed registration form
- payment in full
- immunization forms
Summer Camp Offerings
Summer Nature Camps
$210 Heard Museum Members* | $235 non-members
Ages: 5-12 Years (as of June 1, 2018)
These weeklong Heard Summer Nature Camps will feature opportunities to delve into the wonders of nature on our 289-acre sanctuary, encounter animal ambassadors, investigate nature-themed topics, and more! Pre-registration is required.
- June 18-22 - FULL
- June 25-29
- Quake, Rattle & Spout – We’ll use our new Magic Planet globe to explore the impacts of earthquakes, volcanoes, tornados and other forces of nature.
- Mammal Mania – Got fur? Find out more about some of these familiar and not-so familiar animals.
- Pondtastic – Ever wonder what lives in a pond? Explore our pond and see for yourself!
- Scales R Us – Discover some of the different types of animal that have them and the different ways they are used.
- Extremophiles - Discover life in the extremes: who can survive in the coldest, hottest, tallest, driest, wettest and deepest places?
- EcoGames – Cool off with some outdoor fun during our end of the week tradition.
- July 9-13
- July 16-20
- Space Explorers – Take an unique tour of our solar system via our 4’ Magic Planet globe as we explore the wonders of space
- Bird Brainy – Get smart and discover all sorts of fun facts about our feathered friends
- Got Water? – Find out more about what wetlands are and why they are so important to us
- Flying Jewels – Learn about butterflies and other amazing flying insects
- Antlers, Hooves & Horns – Are horns and antlers the same things? Which animals have hooves? Find out more about which animals have and do not have then.
- EcoGames - Cool off with some outdoor fun during our end of the week tradition.
Nature Art Camp
9:30 AM-12:30 PM
$160 Heard Museum Members* | $185 non-members
Ages: 6-12 Years (as of June 1, 2018)
Youth artists will follow in the footsteps of great artists such as Audubon and Monet with unique opportunities to create their own art inspired by nature and live animals. Each day, a different type of medium will be explored. All art supplies are included. Pre-registration is required.
This year, our Nature Art Camps will be led by Lynne Hubner, who presently serves as the exhibit Curator at the Heard. Ms. Hubner earned a BFA in Drawing from Manhattanville College, New York, as well as an MFA in Printmaking from the University of North Texas.
Hubner is the co-founder and acting president of the North Texas Printmakers Guild. She runs an active printmaking studio in the Historic District of McKinney, Texas where non-toxic processes are stressed. She is an independent artist, lecturer, educator and workshop facilitator. She specializes in relief printmaking in its many permutations. She is a frequent workshop presenter at the Women Printmakers of Austin and Burning Bones Press in Houston. She is also an instructor at Ghost Ranch, the Nature Printmaking Society, Wingtip Press, Flatbed Press, the Georgetown Arts Center and a featured presenter with Print Houston and Print Austin.
$260 Heard Museum Members* | $285 non-members
Ages: 10-15 Years (as of June 1, 2018)
Campers experience a behind-the-scenes, hands-on adventure with our education and exhibit animals. Learn about our different animals and what it takes to properly care for them. Pre-registration is required.
July 30-August 3
Want more? Continue your adventure and discover even more about taking care of animals and enriching the lives of our animal ambassadors. Prerequisite: must have attended Keeper Camp 1. Pre-registration is required.
Kids' Mini Camps
9:30 a.m. – noon
Ages: 6-12 (as of June 1, 2018)
$20/non-member; $17/members (per mini camp)
Summer Mini Camps offer opportunities to fit in extra fun and learning in nature! Choose from three different mini camps: each one covers a different topic and includes indoor activities and time outside exploring our 289-acre nature preserve. Summer Mini Camps are not included in the Early Bird Offer. Pre-registration is required.
- Tuesday, July 3 – “Extremophiles” – Discover life in the extremes: who can survive in the coldest, hottest, tallest, driest, wettest and deepest places?
- Thursday, July 5 – “Flying Jewels” – Learn about butterflies and other amazing flying insects
- Friday, July 6 – “Quake, Rattle & Spout” – Explore earthquakes, volcanoes, tornadoes and other forces of nature
The Heard offers Heard Summer Camp t-shirts (available only when ordered by May 1) and Heard insulated water bottle carriers (while supplies last).
This Year's Summer Camp T-Shirt Design