Homeschool Natural Science Program for 12-13* Year-Olds
This lab-based course will focus on the “tools” of scientists and the connection between math and science. Students will use microscopes, weather instruments, dissection tools, and other lab equipment to make measurements and gather data. Using the variety of outdoor environments at the Heard, we will explore topics such as microscopic life, weather trends, bird banding, plant chromatography and DNA.
*Age of student on September 1, 2019 for the 2019-2020 academic year
Meet the Teacher: September 10 and January 7, 1-2 p.m.
Class will be held two Tuesdays per month from 1-3pm:
- Fall Dates: Sept. 17, 24, Oct. 8, 22, Nov. 5, 19, Dec. 3, 17
- Spring Dates: Jan. 14, 28, Feb. 11, 25, Mar. 10, 24, Apr. 7, 14
Students will be expected to:
- hike outdoors for part of each class
- work together and independently
- read and follow instructions and stay on task
- keep a lab notebook
- complete a 1-hour homework assignment to share with the class at the next meeting. This will
involve creating charts and graphs or researching some aspect of what we are studying.
Per semester: $160/members, $180/non-members
Register for both semesters at once and save 5%.
Refund cancellation dates Fall Semester:
- Full refund minus $10 admin fee by August 18
- 50% refund by September 1
- No refund after September 1
Refund cancellation dates Spring Semester:
- Full refund minus $10 admin fee by December 15
- 50% refund by December 29
- No refund after December 29