Portrait Photography & Videography
Because the Heard Wildlife Sanctuary exists to provide a safe habitat for wildlife, we limit the use of the sanctuary for other uses such as commercial and portrait photography and videography. The Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary requires all commercial and portrait photography and videography groups to preregister and to pay a mandatory permit fee. Commercial and portrait photography and videography groups must schedule with the marketing and communications director (by submitting the form below) at least one week in advance. Approval or denial will be given after the consideration process.
Please follow all rules and etiquette of the sanctuary and help to preserve the nature that exists within the sanctuary. Photographers and their clients should be considerate of other patrons at the facility. Please note that pets are not allowed on the sanctuary.
All guests are welcome to take nature photographs of the Heard Wildlife Sanctuary and to take casual snapshots during visits (please view our guidelines). However, all portrait photographers and videographers (amateur or professional) must preregister and pay the Heard a permit fee to take posed portraits or videos of individuals or groups on our grounds. We appreciate your cooperation.
Bookings are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Photo and video sessions are a maximum of two hours long and must be scheduled at least 7 days in advance within the following hours:
- Tuesday – Saturday - 9 a.m to 5 p.m.
- Sunday - 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Monday – Closed (No appointments scheduled)
Commercial and Portrait Photographs & Videography Procedures Summary
- Photographer must complete online application and acknowledgment/waiver.
- Photographer must pay fee for permit for portrait photography.
- Photographer must reserve date/time with marketing and communications director (at least 7 days in advance) for upcoming shoot within the days and times available.
- Upon arrival for scheduled session, photographer must check in at Heard front desk in the main museum building.
- Photographer must display permit while on grounds.
- Photographer and their portrait subjects must comply with all policies at all times. The Heard reserves the right to ask those participating photographers or clients who are not in compliance to leave without refund.
Commercial and Portrait Photography & Videography Policies
- All photographers must abide by Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary Visitor Tips & Guidelines as well as these specific rules concerning portrait photography.
- Failure to follow all rules will lead to indefinite suspension of the opportunity of a photographer to use the Sanctuary for photography.
- Maximum of 8 persons in group.
- Maximum session time is two hours.
- No refunds or reschedules.
- Photographer must display permit (your email receipt) on their person or equipment while on grounds. The Heard reserves the right to ask groups without permit to leave.
- Equipment limited to cameras and tripods.
- NO costumes
- NO furniture or other props
- NO lighting equipment allowed
- Photography sittings must be family appropriate
- G rated
- No nudity or inappropriate messages\clothing\language.
- Proper attire is required at all times.
- Subjects may not wear bathing suits of any style anywhere at the Heard.
- Indecent or revealing low-cut blouses, short dresses, skirts, or shorts are NOT ALLOWED.
- Male subjects must wear a shirt at all times.
- Failure to comply with this rule will result in an incident report being written and the photographer will be permanently banned from the sanctuary.
- Portrait groups must respect all sanctuary rules including Stay on trails. Those participants wandering off trails will be asked to leave.
- No alcoholic beverages or smoking permitted anywhere at the Heard.
- Leave nature as you found it.
- Pack out everything you pack in.
- Do not disturb the wildlife or plants. Plants (including their flowers), wildlife and sanctuary structures may NOT be removed, harmed or rearranged for any purpose.
- Do not plant or deposit any plants or foreign materials within the Heard Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Do not block trails or pathways or obstruct access for other visitors when posing for photographs.
- For safety reasons, do not pose subjects in trees (tree climbing not allowed), on rocks, or on other structures. Exterior shots only.
- Do NOT tamper with hoses, equipment, tools or signs.
- Do NOT attach any item to plant material, trees, buildings, or water features.
- Dressing Rooms Changing rooms are not available.
- Limited restroom facilities are available but are not designed to handle changing activities.
- Use by the public of these facilities may not be obstructed
- Children should be supervised at all times.
- Pets are not allowed at Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Because photography sessions are scheduled during operating hours, we are unable to restrict access to any portion of the sanctuary. This means that classes, groups of students, or the general public may pass through the grounds.
- Do not disrupt or impede sanctuary programs.
- NO shots permitted near areas where Heard programs or sanctuary maintenance tasks are taking place.
- Must schedule with marketing & communications director at least 7 days in advance, within sanctuary hours of operation.
- Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary is not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen equipment.
- Cancellations – Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary reserves the right to cancel any reservation. In such cases, all fees for the cancelled day will be fully refunded.
- Parking – guests may park in public lot.
- Photographs taken at Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary may not be sold, published, reproduced, transferred, distributed or otherwise commercially exploited without the express written consent of the marketing and communication director (at least one week in advance). Any photographs that may be authorized for use must give location credit as Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary reserves the right, at its discretion, to withhold and/or withdraw permission to photograph on its premises, to refuse admittance for photography, and/or to change its Photography Terms and Conditions at any time without advance notice. as Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary staff may enforce photography terms and conditions at any time. Any exception to the above MUST have prior written approval of the marketing and communications director.