Field Trip Guidelines
Thank you for choosing The Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary for your upcoming field trip! Please use the following guidelines to ensure your group has a wonderful visit.
- Group Leaders are responsible for arriving ten minutes early for all scheduled activities.
- Group Leaders need to report to the front desk of the main building for check-in.
- After check-in, Group Leaders should station their students in the circular garden directly in front of the building. Groups are to remain in the garden until greeted by a Heard Staff Member or Docent who will direct your scheduled activities.
- We request that all vehicles larger than passenger vans adhere to our parking and drop-off guidelines as advised by signage posted on Nature Place road. Vehicles larger than passenger vans should not be parked in the first parking lot unless you receive other instructions.
- Groups that arrive over fifteen minutes late cannot be guaranteed a full tour.
- Groups that arrive over thirty minutes late cannot be guaranteed a guided tour.
- Send your Group Leader inside to the front desk to check-in with the following information
- Total # students
- Total # adults
- Name of Group
- Type of Activity
- At this time, the Group Leader will pay for any additional participants and receive further instructions for the day’s activities.
- Refunds or Credits will not be granted for having fewer participants on the day of your field trip than what is represented on the invoice.
- Students should be prepared for going outside in all weather.
- Closed-toe shoes and long pants are the preferred attire for a visit to the Museum & Sanctuary.
- Insect Repellent and sunscreen are advisable. Applying repellent is time consuming so PLEASE APPLY REPELLENTS PRIOR TO YOUR ARRIVAL.
- Hairspray, perfume & cologne attract insects!
- Nametags for each group member identifying the person & group name are very helpful.
- Any child arriving or departing from the Museum must be accompanied by a parent or designated adult. No one under 18 is allowed inside the Museum or on the Sanctuary unaccompanied.
- The Museum requires a minimum 1:10 chaperone to student ratio. Chaperones must be 21 years of age or older.
- Group Leaders and Chaperones are responsible for ensuring the group’s appropriate behavior throughout the entire visit. To guarantee a pleasant visit for all our guests, the Museum reserves the right to remove any individual or group from the premises.
- Smoking is prohibited on The Heard Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary property.
- Help us to preserve our environment. Please do not pick flowers, pull leaves from plants, disturb spider webs, disturb animals, or collect any natural items while you are visiting.
- Picnic areas are the only place where food can be consumed.
- Please store your lunches on the bus until you are ready to eat. We do not have room to store lunches inside the museum.
- Please bring trash bags to “pack-out” your refuse. There is a dumpster for your use in the bus parking lot. Due to the number of wild animals on our Sanctuary, containment and proper disposal of your trash is very important.
- In the case of inclement weather we cannot guarantee an available eating area inside the museum.
Heard Nature Store
- The Museum Nature Store is open to your group.
- Chaperones are required to accompany group members at all times in the Store.
- Teachers receive a 10% discount for their personal purchases.