Encourage your preschooler's love of nature!
Preschoolers will have the opportunity explore all that the Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary has to offer. In each class, your child will be engaged in hands-on learning experiences that promote a connection to nature.
Preschool programs have been an integral part of the museum's mission since 1974. This informal science program introduces your child to the natural world through nature walks and hands-on science activities that foster cooperation with others, language development and creative play.
Registration will be open to the public beginning July 3.
Preschool Nature Explorers is appropriate for children ages 3 and 4*.
*Age of student on September 1, 2019 for the 2019-2020 academic year. Please note: all preschoolers must be potty-trained prior to participation in Preschool Nature Explorers
Classes meet Tuesday, Wednesday, OR Thursday from 9:30AM - 11:30AM
Preschool Nature Explorers will spend the school year learning about the world around us. Each week we’ll meet one of the Heard’s live animal ambassadors and take a nature hike to explore different habitats from wetlands and forests to prairie and ponds. We’ll also prowl through museum exhibits, participate in hands-on science activities, sing songs, listen to stories, and play nature themed-games! We’ll talk about our responsibility to nature and what we can do to the help the plants and animals around us.
In the fall semester, we’ll focus on habitats and ecosystems. We’ll learn how animals that are awake at night can live in the dark. We’ll dig into dinosaurs and fossils. We’ll watch as summer changes to fall and heads towards winter. In the spring, we’ll discover more about the wide variety of animals that live on our planet and what makes each one unique. We’ll also observe nature wake up from its winter slumber as it blossoms into spring.
Per semester: 26 hour program/13 weeks
$230 non-members | $210 Heard Museum Members*
Monthly Payment Plan
- (Includes $5 processing fee per payment)
- $115 Non-member down payment | $95 Heard Museum Member down payment*
- A monthly payment (includes a $5 processing fee) will be charged to your credit card on file the 1st of October and November in the fall or February and March in the spring.
Fall 2019 Dates:
- Meet the Teacher Preschool – Tues, Wed or Thursday week of Sept 10-12, 10 – 11am
- Semester starts: Week of September 17
- No Class Week of Nov 26-28 for Thanksgiving
- Semester ends: Week of Dec 17-19
Spring 2020 Dates:
- Meet the Teacher – same days of the week & times as fall – January 7 – 9
- Semester Starts – week of January 14
- Spring Break – Week of March 10-12
- Classes End – Week of April 14
Refund cancellation dates Fall Semester:
- Full refund minus $10 admin fee by August 18
- 50% refund by September 1
- No refund after September 1
Refund cancellation dates Spring Semester:
- Full refund minus $10 admin fee by December 15
- 50% refund by December 29
- No refund after December 29
Regarding the Monthly Payment Plan: If you choose to use the Monthly Payment Plan, please note that you will also be required to submit a Credit Card Authorization Form. The credit card information you provide on that form will be used to process your additional monthly payments. A fee of $5 per payment for your first child applies. For additional children, you will only be charged $5 per child rather than per payment. You are responsible for keeping your credit card information up to date. Your card will be charged on the 1st of (Fall) October and November and (Spring) February and March. Failure to provide payment by two weeks after these dates will result in suspension from our program and may result in the loss of future privileges to use the monthly payment option. It is the parent's responsibility to make sure that we have a valid credit card on file at the time of payment processing. A $10 service fee may be assessed if we must contact you for an up-to-date credit card account.
Please note: all preschoolers must be potty-trained prior to participation in Preschool Nature Explorers.