Explore the Outdoors with Your Group
Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary offers guided trails, workshops, and service projects that are appropriate for all types of groups with an interest in exploring the outdoors, including Cub Scouts, Webelos, Brownies, Junior Girl Scouts, Campfire, Bluebirds, and YMCA Guides.
Your group is also welcome to pay regular admission and tour the Museum and Sanctuary on your own (admission is included with programs). Between the museum and live animal exhibits, miles of hiking trails, and picnic areas, there is something for every group!
Want a memento of your visit? Special Heard patches are available in the gift shop.
Scout Group Discount
If you have ten or more in your scout group, you can prepay for your visit and take advantage of our scout group discount of one free adult admission for every 10 paid general admissions or workshops (when paid for and reserved simultaneously with all 10 scouts). Make a reservation for your group.
Two-hour Badge Workshops
Interested in earning a badge or looking for a fun nature-based activity for your group? Our badge workshops might be just what you need. Each two hour workshop is specifically geared to meet the requirements for the listed organization’s badge, but they are open to any interested groups. Dates offered: September through May, as scheduled.
$16 per scout, $13 per adult. For every 10 paid scouts, get one (1) adult free (when paid for and reserved simultaneously with all 10 scouts). Museum admission for the day is free with workshop purchase. Each scout must have a responsible adult in attendance at the workshop; one adult may bring up to 10 scouts.
Fall 2019-Spring 2020Scouting Workshops Listed by Workshop
Fall 2019-Spring 2020 Scouting Workshops Listed by Date
Prefer to register by mail or fax? Use these registration forms:
Guided Trails for Scouts
Experience the ecology, geology, flora and fauna of the Heard Sanctuary. Led by our trained guides, your group will spend 45-60 minutes hiking our unique landscape. See the schedule below for dates. Have a group of 10 or more? We may be able to arrange a private hike for your group; contact us for availability. Available September through May, as scheduled.
- February 15 - 10 a.m.
- March 28 - 10 a.m.
- October 12 - 2 p.m.
- January 25 - 2 p.m.
$10 per child (age 3-12), $13 per adult chaperone, admission to museum included. Each scout must have a responsible adult in attendance at the workshop; one adult may bring up to 10 scouts. For every 10 paid scouts, get one (1) adult free (when paid for and reserved simultaneously with all 10 scouts).
Prefer to register by mail or fax? Use these registration forms:
Boy Scout Merit Badge Workshops
Our Merit Badge workshops are led by Merit Badge Counselors and are typically offered once or twice a year. Many requirements are completed during each workshop, but some work may need to be done outside of the workshop in order to complete all requirements. See individual merit badge descriptions for more details.
Environmental Science Merit Badge Workshop
- Part 1: March 28, 2020; 9am-3:30pm
- Part 2: April 4, 2020; 9am-3:30pm
Registration & Attendance Information
- $75 tuition (includes part 1 & 2)
- Click here to register. Pre-registration and pre-payment is required. Workshop fees are non-refundable. If the scout is unable to attend the merit badge workshop, we will do our best to reschedule for the next workshop. Refunds will only be issued in the event that we must cancel or reschedule a workshop.
- Class 1 Medical Record and Code of Conduct Form are required (available below).
- Participants will be able to complete the badge requirements only if they attend both days and finish the homework assignments.
- Please bring your own lunch, a water bottle with carrier, and wear a Class A or B uniform.
The Heard welcomes scouts and other groups to assist with special service projects. Picking up trash from our grounds and trails is always an available project option for groups of all sizes. Other projects such as trail and sanctuary maintenance, habitat restoration, and handiwork jobs may be available. If your group has an idea for a particular project, you may also submit it for consideration. All service projects must be pre-scheduled.
Ages: 7 through adult
Heard Museum Scout Badge Workshop & Trail Guidelines
Thank you for your interest in participating in scouting activities at the Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary! Please use the following guidelines to ensure your group has a wonderful visit.
- Please check-in with the front desk of the main building 10 minutes before your program time to get directions to the program location.
- Groups that arrive over fifteen minutes late cannot be guaranteed a full workshop or trail.
- All payments should be made online or in person at least 24 hours prior to the start of the workshop or trail. In some instances, permission from the Reservation Coordinator or the Education Coordinator may be made to allow for payment the day of a program.
- Do not assume that you can pay for additional scouts or leaders the day of your program.
- Refunds will only be given for cancellations made to the Reservation or Education Coordinator by email or in writing 2 weeks prior to the program date. No refunds will be issued after that time.
- If you notify the Reservation or Education Coordinator by email or in writing by 5pm on the Wednesday before your scheduled program of changes, we will try to reschedule for a future date or give a credit good for one year.
- Please be aware that scouting programs are special fee programs not included in the free general admission included with Heard Museum Membership. If you have adults chaperones that are Heard Members, they will be required to pay the full program fee for themselves and their child(ren). For more membership FAQs, please click here.
- In the case of inclement weather, DO NOT assume your activity is canceled.
- A refund will NOT be issued to “no shows.” We hold programs rain or shine and generally only cancel if the museum closes. If the weather is deemed to be too hazardous to go outside and is a requirement for program, then we will cancel the workshop or guided trail.
- If we cancel, you will be contacted as soon as possible via the phone number or email provided on your Reservation Form. We will try to reschedule for another date that works for you. If rescheduling is not possible, you may request a credit or full refund.
- Scouts should be prepared for going outside in all weather. Most of our workshops contain an outdoor component.
- Closed-toe shoes and long pants are the preferred attire for a visit to the Museum & Sanctuary.
- Insect Repellent and sunscreen are advisable. Applying repellent is time consuming, so please apply repellents prior to your arrival.
- Any child arriving or departing from the Museum must be accompanied by a parent or designated adult. No one under 18 is allowed inside the Museum or on the Sanctuary unaccompanied.
- For the benefit of the registered participants, children that are not registered for the workshop will not be allowed in the workshop.
- The Museum requires a 1:10 chaperone to child ratio. A chaperone must be 21 years of age.
- Scout Leaders and Chaperones are responsible for ensuring the group’s appropriate behavior throughout the entire visit. To guarantee a pleasant visit for all our guests, the Museum reserves the right to remove any individual or group from the premises.
- Help us to preserve our environment. Please do not pick flowers, pull leaves from plants, disturb spider webs, disturb small animals, or collect any natural items while you are visiting.
- Smoking is prohibited on The Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary property.
- Picnic areas are first come, first served and the only place where food can be consumed.
- Please keep your lunches with you or store them in your vehicles until you are ready to eat. We do not have facilities to store them for you.
- In the case of inclement weather we cannot guarantee an available eating area inside the museum.