Looking for a great volunteer activity? How about becoming a Trail Guide at the Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary? Learn how to share your knowledge and love of nature with children and adults on the Heard trails from Dave Powell, a Heard volunteer and Blackland Prairie Texas Master Naturalist.
Each of the 4 sessions is a 6-hour course. You will also need to become a Heard volunteer (if you are not already one) in order to become a Heard Trail Guide. Get more information about being a Heard volunteer and apply here.
Trail Guide Training Overview
- Dates/Times: See chart below
- Location: Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary – 1 Nature Place, McKinney TX 75069
- Directions & Parking: Directions & Parking – Heard Museum
- Sign-up: To secure a spot in this annual training, please click here to register: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0E4CA8A62EA1FE3-trail3
- Meet at: Laughlin Hall – Enter the main museum building, turn to the right, and proceed down hallway to Laughlin Hall.
- Dress: Routine dress code for activity in the field: Long pants, boots/close-toed shoes; long-sleeved shirts are recommended. Master Naturalists should wear their name badges.
- Bring: Lunch, drinking water, sunscreen, insect repellant and face mask
Trail Guide Training Dates and Times
NOTE: There are 4 sessions in this training. Friday and Saturday training each week are the same, so sign up for only one course (Friday OR Saturday).
- Session 1: Training on Hoot Owl and Laughlin Loop
- Sept. 17 OR Sept. 18; 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Session 2: Training on Blue Stem and Wood Duck
- Sept. 24 OR Sept. 25; 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Session 3: Training on Cedar Break and Sycamore
- Oct. 1 OR Oct. 2; 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Session 4: Training on types of groups, review and makeup
- Oct. 8 OR Oct. 9; 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.